Ladies and gentlemen meet Balki Bartokomous (yup he’s got a full name) my newest best friend, Balki came into this world on 7.6.2015 and came to me when he was 21 days old. Balki’s breed is “Pointer” and he is the runt of the litter. I recently brought his brother to the house from his owner so Balki can play with him and get to know other Dogs. I am a Dog person, their loyalty and friendship is so pure. Balki is such a cute little bundle of love and I will suggest that if you are lonely and you want something to keep you busy get a puppy. Balki’s childish movements and his innocent moves are so full of life.
But I have some questions, as a new Puppy owner I want to ask from all of you who have Dog owning experience.
1. Balki is not even 2 months old, at what age should I start his potty training? Plus as they say that puppies are just babies with no diapers so what can be done about the excessive urinating?
2. What is the best age to start training your puppy commands like, come, sit, stay, no?
3. Balki is always in playing mood he wriggles his tail so much that sometimes I fear that he will fly away like a helicopter. The sleeves of my trousers and pants are his favorite victims, he always hops around my legs and tries to bite them, I know that it’s his teething age and he wants to explore the world with his mouth but sometimes it gets too annoying, he even has his own chew toy which I made him from a sock but still he wants my pants the most. I have seen videos where they say that put your hand in his mouth and say “ouch” loudly if he bites too hard, but frankly in our culture if you get a Dog bite and draw even a little blood (his teeth are sharp I have experienced) you have to get shots, and I have no intention of my parents forcefully getting me injections just so they have the peace of mind that I am ok. So tell me how can I stop his habit of biting? Yes I have given him chew toy but still he bites everything. How can I teach him not to bite even if I place my hand in front of his mouth?
4. What’s the best homemade food I should give him at his age, and how many times a day? (answer this considering he was born on 7.6.2015)
5. Balki is the runt if the litter, they are 4 brothers born at same time and he was the last, his other brothers are still with their mother but Balki came to me when he was 21 days old, when I brought his brother (forgot to ask his name so I’ll call him Biney)
Balki’s brother was bigger than him in size and also weighed more. But he was lazy and always seemed to be sleepy whereas Balki is like he is always on Red Bull mixed with coffee hooping and jumping here and there.
My questions is are all runts small, is Balki going to be the same height like his brothers when he is fully grown up or will he be small like he is (but extra energetic then his brothers) ?
6. As Balki is growing he is also becoming more moody and demanding, if he wants to go in a room he bangs the door and if it doesn’t open after his constant trying he will sit there for a long time uttering noises or crying that let me in (this especially happens for the kitchen) what can I do to stop his stubborn behavior so he stops going into certain rooms?
7. What advice regarding care will you give me about him? I will be talking him the Vet very soon for his shots and through checkup.
THE BALKI & BINEY STORY